x

Weekend in DC

Over Labor Day Weekend my mom and I went to visit my brother in Washington DC, another first for me! We spent our time drinking coffee, checking out monuments and museums, and exploring the different areas of the city.
We arrived on a Friday evening, and headed into downtown for dinner. Once we were full, we walked over to the mall and got to experience the Washington Monument, World War II Memorial, Reflection Pool, and Lincoln Memorial at night. Seeing everything lit up was beautiful, and it was nice that we were able to get a taste of the area without the crowds.
One of my favorite things about visiting new cities is seeing the different architecture. On our way to brunch on Sunday we walked through a few different neighborhoods, I loved seeing the row houses in many different colors, textures, and styles. We made our way to a restaurant called Ted's Bulletin which was so good. My favorite part had to have been the homemade pop-tarts. They were to die for.
After brunch we headed into Georgetown and spent some time peeping into the shops (and trying to stay dry). After showing my mom into Tuckernuck (one of my favorite stores) it began to clear up, so we headed for the waterfront, then over to the Tidal Basin. We walked all the way around the circle, hitting all of the monuments and trying to avoid stepping in puddles.
On Sunday we explored the National Gallery of Art. The first exhibit we visited was furniture, and I felt so inspired by the classic pieces (especially that yellow day bed!). I would love to mix in oil portraits with large, gold frames into my modern decor.
The rest of our day was spent biking around the city. We rented through Capital Bikeshare (easier said than done), and rode our way around the mall again, this time taking in the sites during the day. We also made our way to the White House, and finally the Capitol. Despite the hassle of trying to actually get the bikes away from the docks, it was really fun riding around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment