x

Cape Cod

Last week I took a very short trip out to Cape Cod, somewhere I've never been before! Tom's grandmother has a house in West Yarmouth. He was able to spend the whole week there, but I could only join him for the weekend. I flew out of Cleveland after work on Friday and got into Cape Cod late that night. 
Since we only had a day and a half, we crammed as much as we could into the trip and were actually able to accomplish a lot. Saturday started with blueberry pancakes and coffee homemade from Tom's grandma, Syb (per my request, of course). After we finished sipping coffee on the back porch we headed down to the beach, only about a minute walk away. The weather was in the 80s, and the cool breeze made it feel absolutely perfect. 
After hanging around the beach for a bit we decided to go into town. We headed to Hyannis, a cute, small town just north of us. We went into a few shops, stopped for mimosas (for me, beer for Tom because I think mimosas would hurt is masculinity), and stocked up on salt water taffy from Village Fudge Shoppe.
We had plans to head to the Nauset Lighthouse next, but decided to stop for ice cream in South Yarmouth on our way. We popped into Cape Cod Creamery and were lucky to beat the rush that came minutes after we got in line. We enjoyed our ice cream in the blue and yellow Adirondack chairs on the porch, desperately trying not to drip all over ourselves! 
Nauset Light Beach was our next stop, and probably my favorite place we visited. The beach sits at the bottom of a steep, sandy cliff with the Nauset Lighthouse at the top. The sand is so golden and beautiful, but we quickly found out the the water is ice cold! There was also a shark alert in the area while we were there, so we were sure to only put our toes in. We walked along the shore, then made our way up to the lighthouse. 

The Nauset Light is so quintessential to Cape Cod and is actually famous for being on the Cape Cod Chip bag. Looking back at my photos I actually kind of have to laugh (Tom might not agree) because we had a minor travesty when I thought I lost my phone. I went to pull it out of my purse to take a picture at the lighthouse, and when I realized it wasn't there I immediately ran back to the beach thinking I left it there. When I couldn't find it I started panicking a bit, thinking about all the photos I just lost, and Tom kept calling it hoping someone found it. Luckily someone finally answered and said it was at the lighthouse, about three feet from where I was standing when I thought I lost it... oh boy. But when all was said and done I was just thankful for the nice people who picked up the phone! 
We were pretty exhausted at this point in the day, and headed back to the house to freshen up. However, we weren't home for long, and after doing some googling decided to head to Dennis to watch the sunset at Chapin Beach. The beach was unlike any I've seen before, the tide was low and receded about a mile down, leaving tons of tide pools. It was the absolute best spot to watch the sun set, the colors reflecting off the pools were incredible. Once the sun completely dipped below the horizon we headed to dinner back in Hyannis. We had a hard time finding a restaurant that didn't have a two hour wait, and ended up settling for a pizza place on Main Street (completely fine by me!). We were starving, and pizza tasted better than ever. We ended our night sitting on the quiet, moonlit beach near the house, and even caught a firework show across the bay. It was the most perfect ending to the day. 
Our flight back to Cleveland was leaving at 7 on Sunday night, and with traffic and the long drive to the airport we sadly had to be ready to leave by 3. We had planned to get up to watch the sun rise, but ended up turning the alarm off and going back to sleep. Instead, we slept in, had bagels for breakfast, and headed back into town for mini gulf! Tom kicked my butt, but he's been playing all week :) We ended our time in Cape Cod laying on the beach and eating Cape Cod chips. We had the most perfect mini-getaway.

No comments:

Post a Comment